Beta Read Non-Disclosure Agreement
This Nondisclosure Agreement (the “Agreement”) is entered into by and between Andrew Scott Montgomery, d/b/a Andrew Scott Media and/or Brazee Ventures Press, with its principal offices in Portland, OR (“Disclosing Party,” “Company,” or “Editor”) and (BETA READER NAME INCLUDED IN FORM -AKA- “BETA READER” or “Receiving Party”) for the purpose of preventing the unauthorized disclosure of Andrew Scott Media clients’ (“Author”) Confidential Information as defined below. The parties agree to enter into a confidential relationship with respect to the disclosure of confidential information (“Confidential Information”).
- DEFINITION OF CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION. Any Author’s work received for the purposes of beta reading, whether it be in electronic or in hard-copy form and a full manuscript or an excerpt. Also any information given within the beta reader Facebook group, Reddit threads, by email, or any other means of communication.
- EXCLUSIONS. If an Author has published the work that Beta Reader has been hired/ contracted to beta read, Beta Reader will be allowed to speak (verbally or electronically) with members of the public regarding the work but not physically or electronically share it, unless a physical copy has been freely given as a gift from the Author or legally purchased from a book retailer or, if an electronic version, purchased from a physical or digital book retailer (through which the Author has legally given permission to share the work). The Beta Reader has permission to post a review on book review websites (e.g. Amazon, Goodreads) after the Author has approved the review. The Beta Reader has permission to speak with Company, other active members of the Andrew Scott Media Beta Reader Network, and the Author regarding Author’s work.
- The Beta Reader agrees and confirms that any and all work submitted to them from the Company is the rightful intellectual property and copyrighted material of the Author. The submission of material for beta reading and/or editing privileges made exclusively under this agreement is in no way to be represented as purchased property.
- The Beta Reader agrees that under no circumstances will they redistribute, copy (either electronically or physically), share, or make public any material in any size or quantity to any third party outside of this Agreement. The Beta Reader understands that this includes but is not limited to piracy, speaking about manuscript contents with anyone other than the Author, and duplicating the manuscript in any form.
- This Agreement shall be upheld by the legal authority (court) that presides over the Company’s and the Beta Reader’s state and/or country of residence, whether that be a state of the United States or other country. The Company or Author has the right to prosecute any and all violations of the Agreement by any legal means available.
- LIABILITY. Beta Reader is solely responsible for any violation of this Agreement. Andrew Scott Media and Andrew Scott Montgomery will not be held liable for Beta Reader’s actions.
- LENGTH OF AGREEMENT. This Agreement will be valid indefinitely, unless otherwise specified in writing and signed by both parties, even in the event Beta Reader is no longer associated with Andrew Scott Media or Brazee Ventures Press.